Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sleepy Time

I know I need to update this thing more. And I will. I think I even wrote a blog about the babies at 6 months but never actually posted it.

Anyway, I had a revelation that I wanted to share.

The thing that I hated the most when I was pregnant were all the comments about sleep.
"Get your sleep now!"
"You will never sleep again"
"Sleep while you can"
EtC

I realized that what people should REALLY say is, "Enjoy your uninterrupted sleep, catching up on sleep, and sleeping in."

I think we are blessed with babies who sleep well but I also think that people build up the sleep thing so much that I literally thought I would never sleep again. So I am pleasantly surprised to find that I actually get more sleep now on the average night than I did before I had kids.

I think part of this is the fact that I treasure it more so I will go to bed at 8:30 instead of staying up until 12:00 or 1:00 in the morning.

The thing that is hard is the fact that even with good sleepers, they don't sleep in. And I inevitably have to get up at least once every night (between 3:30 and 5:00) to give Stephen a bottle or change his diaper. It takes 15 minutes and I fall back to sleep pretty quickly but I just miss the uninterupted, lounging in bed, ability to "catch-up" on sleep when I need to. Now, if I want to "catch up" I have to go to bed earlier b/c I am definitely not going to get to sleep later.

I am writing this at 11:00pm when I should be working. So I know tomorrow is going to be hard. But perhaps, tomorrow night, I can get my sleep now.

No comments: